Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Member of Technical Staff
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
Be a part of the mission to #unbreakhealthcare!
epocrates is seeking a Member Technical Staff, as an individual contributor and you’ll be working on epocrates, the most trusted mobile medical app in the US, serving as an indispensable daily tool for 50% of the doctors in the US.
epocrates business line encompasses native iOS/Android apps and a web property, a suite of in-house and third-party content publishing tools, and a commercial advertising platform, so epocrates R&D team tackles a variety of complex challenges every day. Our multi-disciplinary team includes front and backend engineers, product management veterans, medical doctors, visual designers, UX researchers, data experts, and more -- all working together to make it easier for health care providers to make excellent clinical decisions for their patients.
As an epocrates R&D team member, you value collaborative environments where you can challenge ideas and learn from your colleagues. You approach your work with insatiable curiosity and have a profound discomfort with unresolved issues. You speak up and take action when you see something that isn't quite right - even if it isn't in your job description or your area of expertise. And you can't wait for the Shout Outs section of our team meetings to give praise to your talented colleagues.
At athenahealth, we believe that diverse teams are the strongest teams. We invite applicants of all genders, races, ethnicities, nationalities, ages, religions, sexual orientations, disability statuses, educational experiences, family situations, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Position Summary: epocrates team at Bangalore is responsible for subsystems involving epocrates content including content ingestion, publishing, search and semantic network-based recommendations, epocrates web front-end components. We are looking for an experienced backend engineer with the ability to help build a strong culture as the team builds semantic network-based solutions with microservices in a modern infrastructure. You will work with product owners and user experience designers to design and build solutions. Experience with Java, Spring, Node, Microservices, Docker (or other container technologies) is preferred. Working experience in AWS Cloud, GraphDB or JenaDB, RDF, GRAPHQL/SPARQL is good to have.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Produce accurate, unambiguous technical design specifications to the appropriate detail
- Deliver customer value in the form of high-quality software components and services in adherence with policies on Security, performance, longevity and Integration testing
- Estimate the size of development tasks in story points with the goal of 80% accuracy; begin to challenge others during estimation
- Understand and follow coding conventions, with design and architecture best practices
- Write, debug, and deploy code to production; deliver timely fixes
- Adhere to DOD (story definition of done) as part of the sprint, including unit tests, functional testing, code reviews, no regressions, bug fixes, documentation and adhere to best coding practices
- Perform peer code reviews in order to ensure quality standards
Contributions to the Team
- Master the domain knowledge for area of assignment
- Take ownership of what the team builds after the release; consider customer adoption as success criteria
- Contribute to agile ceremonies to improve team performance
- Volunteer for work in the backlog and commit to quality delivery; Coordinate efforts across the team to ensure completion and effectiveness of one’s deliverables
- Participate and contribute to scrum meetings i.e. daily stand-up, sprint planning, readouts and retrospectives
- Drive self-organization; help determine how the team functions in collaboration with your peers
Cross functional Coordination and Communication
- Work collaboratively across the Technology and Product organizations to ensure alignment towards business goals
- Builds strong relationships with cross-functional team members
- Share business and technical learnings with the broader engineering and product organization, while adapting approach for different audiences
Mentorship of Others
- Advise and train members of the team to maximize overall productivity and effectiveness of the team.
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- 2-3 years of experience in an engineering role
- Experience in an Agile environment preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Strong software engineering skills and computer science experience
- Knowledge of modern programming languages such as: Java, Node, Spring, Hibernate, RESTful API
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux, SQL and various other DB technologies is good to have
- Experience with deploying and maintaining services in public cloud like AWS is a Plus
- Knowledge of microservices architecture, messaging system (RabbitMQ /Kafka), docker is good to have
- Semantic network technologies like GraphDB or JenaDB, RDF, GRAPHQL /SPARQL is good to have
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment, while producing quality code
- Ability to write code that is technically sound, performant, scalable, and readable
- Ability to make decisions independently, driving towards the right solution
- Ability to consistently achieve results, even under tough circumstances
- Follow best engineering practices for high quality code
- Ability to collaborate with business owners to understand and refine business requirements
- Ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team with a wide range of experience levels
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.