Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Lead Devops Engineer
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
We are looking for a Lead Site Reliability Engineer to join our Cloud Infrastructure Engineering & Operations division. You will be partnering with senior engineering leadership to do great things. Ultimately your work will focus on improving the performance and efficiency of our teams by building world-class tools and automated workflows which will produce improved outcomes for our business.
But enough about us, let’s talk about you.
You are a developer with extensive experience in designing and building full stack web applications, preferably in public and private cloud environments with some experience building and using large-scale automated test infrastructure. You are an excellent communicator with the capability of quickly picking up complex systems. You are a tenacious, but nimble learner, who demonstrates design & engineering excellence.
Infrastructure Engineering Automation is responsible for building tools and automating workflows for multiple engineering teams within the Cloud Engineering & Operations zone. Our services are highly visible and used every day by teams all across athena to develop, monitor, troubleshoot and scale their web services. The team is responsible for collecting and hosting large volumes of metrics and log data; we do this by running large scale distributed, fault tolerant systems to collect and host all this data.
Our team has a big impact on productivity of hundreds of developers all across athena.
In a typical week, our engineers work on problems ranging from tuning performance, scaling services to debugging hard problems. They will introduce new features and partner with development teams to solve their pressing monitoring and logging issues. We work in an agile, sprint-based schedule running daily standups and work in both the private and public cloud
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
60% [Primary Function] Technical Execution
- Employ creativity & critical thinking to design elegant solutions to complex workflows and automation needs
- Deliver value in the form of high-quality software and service components that adhere to principals on security, performance & scale.
- Write, test, debug, and deploy code to deliver timely solutions and fixes
- Create, review, and maintain technical documentation
- Proactively identify new technologies and their use-cases to achieve greater value from our existing processes
- Define, document and follow coding standards & style guides; hold other members of the team accountable for doing so
20% Contributions to the Team
- Act as the subject matter expert for your team and skill set
- Participate and contribute to scrum ceremonies (i.e., stand-up, sprint planning)
- Perform code reviews for peers in order to ensure quality code standards
- Advise and share knowledge with members of the team to maximize overall productivity and effectiveness of the group as a whole
- Participates in team member interview process as needed
20% Cross functional Coordination and Communication
- Work collaboratively across the teams within Cloud Engineering & Operations to ensure alignment towards business goals
- Establish strong and healthy relationships with cross-functional team members and stakeholders
- Share business and technical learnings with the broader engineering organization while adapting approach for different audiences as needed
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- Prior experience of 8+ years in a production environment with exposure to AWS and On-Prem Infrastructure and their corresponding troubleshooting methodologies, this includes AWS, Kubernetes, On-Prem Infrastructure
- Proficient in building web applications including front end user interfaces
- Proficient in designing, writing and integrating RESTful APIs
- Proficient in writing unit and integration tests
- Experience with systems administration for multiple operating systems (Linux/Unix & Windows)
- Experience with CICD pipelines and technologies such as Jenkins, Artifactory or others
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python, PowerShell, Ruby & Bash are a plus
- Knowledge of configuration management platforms such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible are a plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment, while producing quality code
- Ability to make decisions independently, driving towards the right solution
- Ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team with a wide range of experience levels
- Passion for learning and exploring new challenges outside of your comfort zone
- Finding creative way to execute even when there is no historical context or known path forward
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills that encourage growth for team members
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.