Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Lead UX designer
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
Join athenahealth’s quest to make healthcare work the way it should. Our health is incredibly precious, and people in need of health care are often at their most fragile. Yet the function and experience of healthcare continues to fall far behind the innovative services we receive in other more frivolous parts of our lives.
We’re looking for a Lead Designer to thoughtfully contribute to our award-winning athenaCollector product and specifically for athenahealth Medical Coding area.
athenahealth is looking for designers who can dive into complex design challenges and create solutions to help transform the healthcare industry. If you’re a talented, innovative, and strategic designer, motivated to make a difference in healthcare, then we want to talk to you. Help us break through all the red tape and transform everyone’s experience of a visit to the doctor, a trip to the emergency room, or a lifetime with a chronic illness.
We’re looking for a Lead Designer to thoughtfully contribute to our award-winning electronic health record and physician practice management products. In this role, you will work closely with a multi-disciplinary agile R&D team to define, design and test product and digital service features with the goal of creating valuable and delightful experiences for our users.
Education, Experience, & Skills Required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Psychology, Computer Science, Business or related disciplines
- 10 to 12+ years of professional experience working in digital design
- Solid capability in UX creative and design techniques
- Experience facilitating and summarizing user research as part of field studies and in-person or remote evaluative testing
- Understand how to work within agile development process for the design, development, and delivery of software
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Design simple, effective, and elegant interactions between users and products.
- Create strong problem statements and metrics to ensure design solutions are achieving the right business and user outcomes
- Forge strong relationships and work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team
- Provide sound rationale for recommendations to gain others’ support and commitment.
- Capable of managing ambiguity, change and uncertainty, focusing on information at hand and making good and timely decisions to effectively keep work moving forward
- Adapt to ever-changing needs of a dynamic business with flexibility and willingness to jump into any aspect of work to help the team achieve results
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.