Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Lead Member of Technical Staff
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
athenahealth is a progressive and innovation-driven software product company. We partner with healthcare organizations across the care continuum to drive clinical and financial results. Our expert teams build modern technology on an open, connected ecosystem, yielding insights that make a difference for our customers and their patients. We maintain a unique values-driven employee culture and offer a flexible work-life balance. As evidence of our rapid growth and industry leadership, we were recently acquired by Private Equity for $17 billion! and we have many new strategic product initiatives for 2023.
We are headquartered in Watertown, US, and our India offices are in Chennai, Bangalore, and Pune.
Position Summary: We are looking for a Lead Member of Technical Staff who is an experienced software engineer preferably in public and private cloud environments to join our collector team in Chennai
Team: The Patient Liability Management team is responsible for managing the Patient payment functionality within athenanet which includes Credit card payments, Check payments, and others. It also supports generating and sending out patient statements and creating Payment plans and Card on File agreements.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
80% [Primary Function] Technical Execution
- Produce accurate, unambiguous technical design specifications to the appropriate detail
- Ability to critique technical documentation as needed
- Deliver customer value in the form of high-quality software components and services in adherence with RPR policies on Security, performance, longevity, and Integration testing
- Proactively Identifies and proposes new, alternative technology in order to create scalable implementations and achieve results.
- Keeps current on industry trends, maintaining broad knowledge over a variety of technologies.
- Defines and documents major software architecture alternatives and considerations, recommending preferred options and facilitating design reviews and walkthroughs
- Estimates the cost of a specific design of a proposed product.
- Accurately estimates story points; provides guidance to others as needed
- Drives the t-shirt sizing process, providing guidance to the team on the sizing of epics and stories during the release planning stage
- Understand and follow coding conventions, architectures, and best practices; hold other members of the team accountable for doing so
- Write, debug, and deploy code to production; deliver timely fixes
- Participates in team member interview process as needed; influences final hiring decisions.
- Scale systems to meet business demand
- Deploy systems to meet availability targets (HA/DR)
- Adhere to DOD (story definition of done) as part of the sprint, including unit tests, functional testing, code reviews, no regressions, bug fixes, and documentation, and adhere to best coding practices
- Perform peer code reviews to ensure quality standards.
- Analyzes code, logs, and system behavior as part of advanced troubleshooting.
10% Contributions to the Team
- Act as the subject matter expert for the area of assignment
- Coach others on advanced diagnostic techniques and tools for unusual production and non -production problems.
- Take ownership of what the team builds after the release; consider customer adoption as success criteria
- Accepts responsibility for successes and failures of own work and the team’s work.
- Contribute to agile ceremonies to improve team performance
- Volunteer for work in the backlog and commit to quality delivery; Coordinate efforts across the team to ensure completion and effectiveness
- Participate and contribute to scrum meetings i.e., daily stand-up, sprint planning, readouts, and retrospectives
- Drive self-organization; help determine how the team functions in collaboration with your peers
- Creates opportunities for self and others to try new things.
10% Cross-functional Coordination and Communication
- Work collaboratively across the Technology and Product organizations to ensure alignment toward business goals
- Builds strong relationships with cross-functional team members and business stakeholders
- Share business and technical learnings with the broader engineering and product organization, while adapting approaches for different audiences
- Advise and train members of the team to maximize the overall productivity and effectiveness of the team.
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- 9 to 12 years of experience in an engineering role
- Experience in an Agile environment preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Significant software engineering skills and computer science experience
- Expertise in any modern programming languages such as Java, Perl, Node.js, and Python
- Knowledge of Univ/Linux, Big Data, SQL, NoSQL, and various other technologies
- Experience with object-oriented programming, RESTful API, WebUI (HTML 5), and Modern JS frameworks like ReactJS
- Experience in Jenkins, AWS (ECS, S3, CloudFront, Lambda) (Must have)
- Exposure to OKTA or ping or any other IAM products
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment, while producing quality code
- Ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team with a wide range of experience levels
- Ability to prioritize both individual time and the time of the team
- Strong mentoring and coaching skills that encourage growth for more junior members
- Ability to write code that is technically sound, performant, scalable, and readable
- Ability to collaborate with business owners to understand and refine business requirements
- Ability and willingness to demonstrate ownership of an area of Athena’s technology
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.