Browse thousands of opportunities across our network of innovative companies
Senior UX Designer
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
athenahealth is looking for designers who can dive into complex design challenges and create solutions to help transform the healthcare industry. If you’re a talented, innovative, and strategic designer, motivated to make a difference in healthcare, then we want to talk to you. Help us break through all the red tape and transform everyone’s experience of a visit to the doctor, a trip to the emergency room, or a lifetime with a chronic illness.
We’re looking for a Senior Designer to thoughtfully contribute to our award-winning electronic health record and physician practice management products. In this role, you will work closely with a multi-disciplinary agile R&D team within our Medication Management zone – the part of our product that provides information about patients’ medications and enables vaccine administration - to lead the UX portion of our product development process. You will define, design and test product features with the goal of improving the ability of physicians and their staff to do their jobs well.
As a successful candidate, you will be a champion for our users and develop a clear point of view about UX decisions. You have an eye for design and the ability to spot details others might miss. You love finding ways to drive incremental improvements that keep us moving towards a larger vision. You bring curiosity and empathy to your work.
- Identify and frame user-centered problems effectively
- Identify opportunities for improvement in existing products
- Write use cases and scenarios for projects in order to identify needed functionality
- Conduct and synthesize primary and secondary user research (desk research, heuristic reviews, user interviews, surveys, usability testing)
- Create low- to high-fidelity sketches, wireframes, and visual designs/specs
- Build interactive prototypes to communicate and test concepts and ideas
- Collaborate with product and engineering throughout the agile planning, design and development process to deliver released product that meets design intent
- Manage the prioritization of your design work to keep your team moving
- Assist in the definition and creation of success criteria and metrics
- Support your product and engineering teammates in building empathy for our users
- Seek out and incorporate feedback from users and cross-functional teams
- A degree in UX, Interaction Design, Human-Computer Interaction or similar, or in a different field with impressive experience that negates formal design qualifications
- 5-7+ years of experience in User Experience design
- Ability to use UX research and design techniques to solve complex user problems
- Interest in developing a deep understanding of the US healthcare space
- Experience facilitating, summarizing and acting on take-aways from user research (interviews, surveys, and/or other qualitative and quantitative data)
- Ability to articulate your rationale for design decisions and comfort making decisions without perfect information
- Understand how to work within the agile development process for the design, development, and delivery of software
- Proven ability to collaborate with product and engineering counterparts and to articulate a clear point of view based on UX best practices and the needs of our users
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.