Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
We are looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our Cloud Infrastructure Engineering division. Cloud Infrastructure Engineering ensures the continuous availability of the technologies and systems that are the foundation of athenahealth’s services. We are directly responsible for thousands of servers, petabytes of storage, and handling thousands of web requests per second, all while sustaining growth at a meteoric rate. We enable an operating system for the medical office that abstracts away administrative complexity, leaving doctors free to practice medicine.
But enough about us; let’s talk about you!
You’re a seasoned engineer with a passion for identifying and resolving reliability and scalability challenges. You are a curious team player, someone who loves to explore, learn, and make things better. You are excited to uncover inefficiencies in business processes, creative in finding ways to automate solutions, and relentless in your pursuit of greatness. You’re a nimble learner capable of quickly absorbing complex solutions and an excellent communicator who can help evangelize engineering excellence.
We are a bunch of Site Reliability Engineers who are passionate about reliability, automation, and scalability. We use an agile based framework to execute our work, ensuring we are always focused on the most important and impactful needs of the business. We support systems in both private and public cloud and make data-driven decisions for which one best suit the needs of the business. We are relentless in automating away manual, repetitive work so we can focus on projects that help move the business forward.
- Leverage the principles of resilience engineering to ensure the stability, security, and scalability of our systems and services
- Ensure product success through the strategic use of technologies such as Linux, Puppet, Consul, apache, Oracle, load balancing, and Storage etc.
- Develop software-based, automated solutions to core business problems
- Design and implement software services that support Infrastructure-as-Code principles
- 7~9+ years of experience building, scaling, and supporting highly available systems and services
- Deep level expertise on Web & Memory pools, Load Balancing (e.g., Citrix NetScaler)
- Expertise in the delivery, maintenance, and support of Linux systems and infrastructure
- Strong Expertise in configuration management tools like Puppet. Experience with Infrastructure-as-Code, Linux, and API integration. Familiarity with Terraform desired.
- Proficiency in at least one scripting or programming language (Ansible, Python, Go, Ruby, etc.).
- Experience implementing solutions using SRE, DevOps principles,
- Familiarity with telemetry, latest monitoring, visualization tools,
- Experience supporting applications on cloud, working familiarity with AWS commonly used services (Computing, Database, Networking, Content delivery, Containers, storage, CloudFormation) desired.
- Expertise in promoting and driving system visibility to aid in the rapid detection and resolution of issues
- Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
Behaviors & Abilities Required:
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team with a wide range of experience levels
- Ability to prioritize both individual time and the time of the team
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.