Database Engineering Senior Associate
Join us as we work to create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
The Senior Database Engineer role will serve on the Database operations Engineering team whose mission encompasses the design, installation, monitoring and operations support of Database infrastructure to meet the business needs.
Responsible for managing the technology lifecycle of new products, features or enhancements from conceptualization, requirements gathering, product specification, implementation review and release.
Implement, test and document server system architectures for CI product development.
Looking for independent and creative thinkers with strong communication skills who will proactively work with team members.
- Contribute to accurate, unambiguous technical design specifications to the appropriate detail.
- Deliver customer value in the form of high-quality software components and services in adherence on delivering values.
- Write, debug, and deploy scripts/api to production; deliver timely fixes.
- Learn the domain knowledge for area of assignment.
- Volunteer for work in the backlog and commit to quality delivery; Coordinate efforts across the team to ensure completion and effectiveness.
- Mentoring database administrators and providing them with technical support.
- Documenting processes related to database design, configuration, and performance. Ability to document project work and produce RCA for the priority issues.
Education, Experience, & Skills Required:
- 3-5 years of experience in an engineering role
- Familiarity of working in an Agile environment preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Fine tune operating system and database for performance and scalability
- Deep understanding of relational database design and SQL
- Experience with Oracle tools, utilities, Oracle version upgrades, migrations, and patching.
- Strong knowledge and working experience in RAC, Goldengate and DataGuard.
- Experience in configuring OEM, RMAN catalog and pl/sql.
- Expertise with enterprise server, storage and networking architecture and technology
- Experience working with Dell PowerEdge server platforms required.
- PostgreSQL DBA experience in a 24x7 production environment
- Familiarity of server end user production and lifecycle workflows is highly desirable.
- Experience with Linux Administration and scripting (Red Hat, CentOS, OEL), KVM.
- Mastery of one of the following scripting languages: Python, Perl, Bash
- Automation frameworks like Ansible/Puppet -- automating a real-world production environment.
- Understanding of Microservice Architecture and REST based implementation of APIs.
- Proven track record of designing, building, optimizing, and maintaining databases on a large scale.
Behaviours & Abilities Required:
- Ability to learn and adapt in a fast-paced environment, while producing quality code
- Ability to work collaboratively on a cross-functional team with a wide range of experience levels.
- Ability to write scripts/api that is technically sound, performant, scalable, and readable.
- Ability to collaborate with business owners to understand and refine business requirements.
- Candidate should be ready to work on rotational 12/7 oncall support.
Here’s our vision: To create a thriving ecosystem that delivers accessible, high-quality, and sustainable healthcare for all.
What’s unique about our locations?
From an historic, 19th century arsenal to a converted, landmark power plant, all of athenahealth’s offices were carefully chosen to represent our innovative spirit and promote the most positive and productive work environment for our teams. Our 10 offices across the United States and India — plus numerous remote employees — all work to modernize the healthcare experience, together.
Our company culture might be our best feature.
We don't take ourselves too seriously. But our work? That’s another story. athenahealth develops and implements products and services that support US healthcare: It’s our chance to create healthier futures for ourselves, for our family and friends, for everyone.
Our vibrant and talented employees — or athenistas, as we call ourselves — spark the innovation and passion needed to accomplish our goal. We continue to expand our workforce with amazing people who bring diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives at every level, and foster an environment where every athenista feels comfortable bringing their best selves to work.
Our size makes a difference, too: We are small enough that your individual contributions will stand out — but large enough to grow your career with our resources and established business stability.
Giving back is integral to our culture. Our athenaGives platform strives to support food security, expand access to high-quality healthcare for all, and support STEM education to develop providers and technologists who will provide access to high-quality healthcare for all in the future. As part of the evolution of athenahealth’s Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) program, we’ve selected nonprofit partners that align with our purpose and let us foster long-term partnerships for charitable giving, employee volunteerism, insight sharing, collaboration, and cross-team engagement.
What can we do for you?
Along with health and financial benefits, athenistas enjoy perks specific to each location, including commuter support, employee assistance programs, tuition assistance, employee resource groups, and collaborative workspaces — some offices even welcome dogs.
In addition to our traditional benefits and perks, we sponsor events throughout the year, including book clubs, external speakers, and hackathons. And we provide athenistas with a company culture based on learning, the support of an engaged team, and an inclusive environment where all employees are valued.
We also encourage a better work-life balance for athenistas with our flexibility. While we know in-office collaboration is critical to our vision, we recognize that not all work needs to be done within an office environment, full-time. With consistent communication and digital collaboration tools, athenahealth enables employees to find a balance that feels fulfilling and productive for each individual situation.